Migrating on-premises Windows instances to the cloud is a common scenario for businesses looking to leverage the benefits of AWS, such as scalability, reliability, and ease of management.
In this guide, we’ll walk through the steps to migrate your Windows instance to AWS using this handy tool.
This comprehensive guide outlines key steps, prerequisites, and best practices, ensuring a smooth transition to Amazon Web Services.
Discover how to seamlessly migrate your Windows Server from a different cloud platform to AWS using the AWS Replication Migration Installer.
Pioneers in Cloud Consulting & Migration Services
- Reduced infrastructural costs
- Accelerated application deployment
Before beginning the migration process, ensure you have the following prerequisites:
- An AWS account with the necessary permissions to create and manage Amazon EC2 instances, AWS IAM roles, and other resources.
- The AWS Replication Migration Installer was downloaded and installed on your local Windows server.
- AWS CLI is installed and configured with your AWS credentials.
Step 1: Prepare Your Environment
Before initiating the migration, make sure your local Windows instance meets the following requirements:
- The instance is running Windows Server 2008 R2 or later.
- The AWS Replication Migration Installer is installed on the source server.
Step 2: Launch the Replication Migration Installer
- Open the AWS Replication Migration Installer on your Windows Server.
- Sign in with your AWS account credentials.
- Choose the appropriate Region where you want to replicate your instance.
- Configure your instance settings, including the instance name, description, and replication server settings.
Step 3: RDP Into the Windows Machine
Download the AWS Replication migration installer
The Above link suits for the US-EAST-1
Go for the above link to select according to your region.
Step 4: Install the Replication Agent installer in the PowerShell
Go to PowerShell and execute the below command.
Step 5: Execute the downloaded Installer
Use the Below command to run the Installer.
$ & “./ AwsReplicationWindowsInstaller.exe”
It will prompt for the AWS region, AWS access, and Secret key. Choose the right Disk otherwise, Enter to Replicate the entire Disk.
Step 6: Check the AWS Migration Service in your AWS Account
Step 7: Test and CutOver
Click any of the Sources in the AWS migration service source dashboard.
Check for the Actions and click.
You will get the Dropdown Menu.
Click the Test Instance. Once it’s done, Click the Launch Cutover Instances.
Migrating your local Windows instance to AWS using the AWS Replication Migration Installer streamlines the migration process, reducing downtime and minimizing the risk of data loss. Following these steps, you can seamlessly replicate and launch your Windows instance in the AWS cloud, taking advantage of AWS’s scalability and reliability. As with any migration, thorough testing and validation are crucial to ensure a successful transition. With AWS tools like the AWS Replication Migration Installer, businesses can accelerate their journey to the cloud, unlocking the full potential of cloud computing.
Drop a query if you have any questions regarding AWS Replication Migration and we will get back to you quickly.
Making IT Networks Enterprise-ready – Cloud Management Services
- Accelerated cloud migration
- End-to-end view of the cloud environment
CloudThat is an official AWS (Amazon Web Services) Advanced Consulting Partner and Training partner, AWS Migration Partner, AWS Data and Analytics Partner, AWS DevOps Competency Partner, Amazon QuickSight Service Delivery Partner, Amazon EKS Service Delivery Partner, Microsoft Gold Partner, and many more, helping people develop knowledge of the cloud and help their businesses aim for higher goals using best-in-industry cloud computing practices and expertise. We are on a mission to build a robust cloud computing ecosystem by disseminating knowledge on technological intricacies within the cloud space. Our blogs, webinars, case studies, and white papers enable all the stakeholders in the cloud computing sphere.
1. What is the AWS Replication Migration Installer, and why should I use it to migrate my Windows Server to AWS?
ANS: – AWS Replication Migration Installer is a tool provided by Amazon Web Services (AWS) to simplify and automate migrating Windows servers to AWS. It enables efficient replication of your on-premises or other cloud platform Windows instances to Amazon EC2, allowing you to take advantage of AWS’s scalability, reliability, and diverse services.
2. Can I use AWS Replication Migration Installer to migrate any version of Windows Server?
ANS: – Yes, AWS Replication Migration Installer supports Windows Server 2008 R2 and later versions. You can use it to migrate a wide range of Windows Server instances.
3. What steps are involved in migrating a Windows Server from another cloud platform to AWS using AWS Replication Migration Installer?
ANS: – The migration process involves several key steps:
- Prepare your local environment and ensure the source Windows Server meets the requirements.
- Launch the AWS Replication Migration Installer and configure settings, including instance details and replication options.
- Select the disks to replicate and set up replication settings.
- Create an AWS IAM role for the replication process.
- Initiate the replication process.
- Launch an Amazon EC2 instance from the replicated AMI.
4. Do I need to update my DNS records during the cutover phase manually?
ANS: – Yes, as part of the cutover plan, you should update DNS records to point to the new AWS resources. This ensures that traffic is directed to the AWS environment after migration.
WRITTEN BY Karthik Kumar P V
Karthik Kumar Patro Voona is a Research Associate (Kubernetes) at CloudThat Technologies. He Holds Bachelor's degree in Information and Technology and has good programming knowledge of Python. He has experience in both AWS and Azure. He has a passion for Cloud-computing and DevOps. He has good working experience in Kubernetes and DevOps Tools like Terraform, Ansible, and Jenkins. He is a very good Team player, Adaptive and interested in exploring new technologies.