Voiced by Amazon Polly
Introduction to AWS Cloud9
How does AWS Cloud9 work?
Use the AWS Cloud9 IDE, running in a web browser on the local system, to interact with the AWS Cloud9 environment. An AWS computing resource (for example, an Amazon EC2 instance or any server) connects to that environment. Finally, work is stored in the CodeCommit repository or another type of remote repository.
Cloud9 + Your System<–>Your Server/EC2 + Cloud9 Environment<–>CodeCommit/Other Remote Repository
Helping organizations transform their IT infrastructure with top-notch Cloud Computing services
- Cloud Migration
- AIML & IoT
AWS Cloud9 Environments
Cloud9 environment is a place where we can store our project’s files and run the tools to develop our applications.
Using the AWS Cloud9 IDE, we can:
- Store our project’s files locally on the server or instance.
- Clone a remote code repository – such as a repo in CodeCommit into our environment.
- Work with a combination of cloned files and local files in the environment.
We can create and switch between multiple environments, with each one set up for a specific development project. By storing the environment in the cloud, our projects no longer need to be tied to a single computer or server setup. This enables us to do things such as easy switching between computers and more quickly onboard developers to the team.
Environments and Computing Resources
There are different ways to connect our environments to computing resources:
- We can instruct AWS Cloud9 to create an Amazon EC2 instance, and then connect the environment to that newly created EC2 instance. This setup is called an EC2 environment.
- You can instruct AWS Cloud9 to connect an environment to your server or an existing cloud compute instance. This setup is called an SSH environment.
EC2 environments and SSH environments have some differences and some similarities.
Why AWS Cloud9?
With the help of AWS Cloud9, we can code, build, run, test, debug, and release software in many exciting scenarios and variations.
- The AWS Cloud and working with code in several programming languages.
- Using online code repositories.
- Collaborating with others in real-time.
- Development Kit – AWS CDK.
- Working with the code in a running Docker container.
- Interacting with various database and website technologies.
- Targeting services like AWS Serverless Applications, Amazon API Gateway, and AWS Lambda
- Taking advantage of other AWS products such as AWS CodeStar, AWS CodePipeline, and Amazon Lightsail.
Benefits of Cloud9
- Code with just a browser – No need to install or maintain a local IDE
- Code together in real time – Share the development environment with the team
- Build Serverless Applications with ease as makes it easy to write, run, and debug the same.
- Direct Terminal access to AWS – comes with a terminal that includes sudo privilege and pre-authenticated AWS Command Line Interface.
Features of Cloud9
- Fully-featured Editor
- Broad Selection of Run Configuration
- Integrated Debugger
- Integrated Tools for Serverless Development
- Connectivity to any Linux Server Platform
- Collaborative Editing and Chat
- Continuous Delivery Chain
- File Revision History
Steps to Create an EC2 Environment using AWS Cloud9
Step 1: Search for Cloud9 in the service list and once it opens then click on Create Environment
Step 2: Enter the name of the Environment and select its type, EC2, and Platform based on your requirement and then Click on Create.
Step 3: After successful creation, we can see the Environment and Instance as shown below.
EC2 instance which is created from Cloud9 Environment
Using AWS Cloud9 we need not have to go through the painful process of installing plugins, SDKs, libraries, etc every time we want to start a new project which is based on a different language or platform than the previous ones. Being cloud-based, Cloud9 maintains multiple development environments easily so that we can isolate our project’s resources.
Get your new hires billable within 1-60 days. Experience our Capability Development Framework today.
- Cloud Training
- Customized Training
- Experiential Learning
CloudThat is also the official AWS (Amazon Web Services) Advanced Consulting Partner and Training partner and Microsoft gold partner, helping people develop knowledge of the cloud and help their businesses aim for higher goals using best in industry cloud computing practices and expertise. We are on a mission to build a robust cloud computing ecosystem by disseminating knowledge on technological intricacies within the cloud space. Our blogs, webinars, case studies, and white papers enable all the stakeholders in the cloud computing sphere.
Drop a query if you have any questions regarding AWS Cloud9 and I will get back to you quickly.
1. Which browsers does Cloud9 supports?
ANS: – Cloud9 supports recent versions of Safari, Firefox, Google Chrome, and Microsoft Edge.
2. What is the cost of Cloud9?
ANS: – No additional charges for Cloud9 but need to pay for underlying services like EC2 or EBS Volumes.
3. How to use Cloud9 with CodeStar?
ANS: – Launch Cloud9 Environment directly from AWS CodeStar and start editing and committing.
WRITTEN BY Suresh Kumar Reddy
Yerraballi Suresh Kumar Reddy is working as a Research Associate - Data and AI/ML at CloudThat. He is a self-motivated and hard-working Cloud Data Science aspirant who is adept at using analytical tools for analyzing and extracting meaningful insights from data.