Voiced by Amazon Polly
In the fast-paced world of software development, the ability to produce high-quality, efficient, and secure code is critical. With the rising complexity of systems and the requirement for faster deployment, developers frequently face issues in maintaining code quality and adhering to best practices. Recognizing this requirement, Amazon Web Services (AWS) has launched a new tool called “Amazon CodeWhisperer,” changing how developers write, update, and optimize their code. In this blog, we will go deep into the substance of Amazon CodeWhisperer, investigating its capabilities, benefits, and tremendous impact on the software development process.
Amazon CodeWhisperer, an intelligent virtual mentor, assists developers in refining their coding practices and ensuring adherence to industry best practices.
Pioneers in Cloud Consulting & Migration Services
- Reduced infrastructural costs
- Accelerated application deployment
Features of Amazon CodeWhisperer
- Amazon CodeWhisperer can offer code completions for single lines of code. This can save you time and effort while coding.
- Amazon CodeWhisperer can offer code completions for single-line comments. This can help you document your code more efficiently.
- Based on your comments and existing code, Amazon CodeWhisperer can generate entire functions. This can be useful for tasks where you don’t want to start from scratch.
- Amazon CodeWhisperer can help you in improving the security of your code. It may detect potential security flaws and recommend solutions to mitigate them.
- It is compatible with JetBrains IDEs (IntelliJ IDEA, PyCharm, WebStorm, and Rider), Visual Studio (VS) Code, AWS Cloud9, AWS Lambda console, JupyterLab, and Amazon SageMaker Studio.
Amazon CodeWhisperer Pricing
Individual coders can use Amazon CodeWhisperer for free. Organizations pay a fixed “per user, per month” subscription price for using Amazon CodeWhisperer, with no upfront fees or long-term commitments.
Amazon CodeWhisperer is offered in two tiers:
- Amazon CodeWhisperer Individual Tier: The Amazon CodeWhisperer Individual Tier is completely free. Individual developers can use Amazon CodeWhisperer within minutes by signing up and logging in with an email address and an AWS Builder ID. Code suggestion, reference tracking, and security scans are all included in the Individual Tier.
- Amazon CodeWhisperer Professional Tier: In addition to the capabilities provided by the Individual Tier, the Amazon CodeWhisperer Professional Tier provides administrative capabilities to organizations that want to provide Amazon CodeWhisperer access to their developers. Administrators can use organizational license management to control which developers in their organization have access to Amazon CodeWhisperer.The organization must pay $19 per month per user in this tier to use the Amazon CodeWhisperer Professional tier.
Steps to Integrate the Amazon CodeWhisperer with Virtual Studio (VS Code)
Step 1 – Open the VS code, look for “AWS Toolkit” in the extensions list, and install it.
Step 2 – Following the installation of the AWS Toolkit. The Amazon Web Services logo is displayed on the left bar. Click on that logo, then in developer tools, click on “select a connection,” then “add a new connection,” then ” Amazon Code Whisperer,” and on the right side, a popup appears with the option to sign up by AWS builder ID. To use the individual tier, select that sign-up option.
Step 3 – You do not need an AWS account to sign up for AWS builder ID, and you may sign up with any personal email address.
Complete the sign-up process for AWS builder ID
To begin writing code, open any blank file.
In the image below, a user has begun to input a line of code. Amazon CodeWhisperer provided suggestions to complete the line based on the input. Using the arrow keys, the user can cycle between the suggestions.
The combination of Amazon CodeWhisperer’s intelligent analysis and Visual Studio Code’s user-friendly interface fosters a more productive and efficient coding experience. Developers can now iterate faster, make informed decisions, and adhere to best practices effortlessly. Ultimately, this integration creates robust, reliable, and efficient software solutions.
Drop a query if you have any questions regarding Amazon CodeWhisperer and we will get back to you quickly.
Empowering organizations to become ‘data driven’ enterprises with our Cloud experts.
- Reduced infrastructure costs
- Timely data-driven decisions
CloudThat is an official AWS (Amazon Web Services) Advanced Consulting Partner and Training partner, AWS Migration Partner, AWS Data and Analytics Partner, AWS DevOps Competency Partner, Amazon QuickSight Service Delivery Partner, AWS EKS Service Delivery Partner, and Microsoft Gold Partner, helping people develop knowledge of the cloud and help their businesses aim for higher goals using best-in-industry cloud computing practices and expertise. We are on a mission to build a robust cloud computing ecosystem by disseminating knowledge on technological intricacies within the cloud space. Our blogs, webinars, case studies, and white papers enable all the stakeholders in the cloud computing sphere.
1. In which AWS regions is Amazon CodeWhisperer available?
ANS: – Amazon CodeWhisperer is AWS Region agnostic and available to developers worldwide. Amazon CodeWhisperer is currently hosted in the N. Virginia Region.
2. How can I enable Amazon CodeWhisperer for my organization?
ANS: – Through the AWS Management Console, an AWS administrator can enable Amazon CodeWhisperer for an organization. Administrators must first enable SSO through AWS IAM Identity Centre (formerly AWS Single Sign-On) if it is not already enabled for their organization. After SSO authentication, administrators can enable Amazon CodeWhisperer and grant access to users and groups in their organization.
WRITTEN BY Rohit Lovanshi
Rohit Lovanshi works as a Research Associate (Infra, Migration, and Security Team) at CloudThat. He is AWS Developer Associate certified. He has a positive attitude and works effectively in a team. He loves learning about new technology and trying out different approaches to problem-solving.