Voiced by Amazon Polly
The AWS Transfer Family is a fully managed file transfer service suite that enables users to easily and securely move files over SFTP, FTPS, and FTP protocols. It provides a scalable and highly available solution for transferring files into and out of AWS, with built-in security features such as encryption and access controls.
- Clients: The clients are the endpoints that initiate the file transfer requests. Clients can be any SFTP, FTPS, or FTP client application that supports the respective protocol.
- AWS Transfer Family Gateway: The AWS Transfer Family Gateway is the primary entry point for all file transfer requests. It receives and validates the requests from the clients and forwards them to the appropriate backend service for processing.
- AWS Transfer for SFTP/FTPS/FTP: The backend services handle the actual file transfer requests. Each service is designed to support a specific protocol and provides features such as user authentication, access controls, and encryption.
- Amazon S3: Amazon S3 is the storage service the AWS Transfer Family uses to store the transferred files. When a file transfer request is completed, the file is stored in an Amazon S3 bucket.
Pioneers in Cloud Consulting & Migration Services
- Reduced infrastructural costs
- Accelerated application deployment
AWS Transfer Family Main Use Case
- File transfer to and from AWS: It securely transfers files to and from AWS using industry-standard protocols like SFTP, FTPS, and FTP. This can help organizations streamline their file transfer workflows and reduce the risk of data breaches.
- Data migration to AWS: Organizations can use this service to migrate large amounts of data to AWS without requiring specialized tools or skills. The service supports a wide range of file types and provides automatic encryption and compression of data in transit.
- Secure file sharing: It can be used to share files securely with internal and external stakeholders. Organizations can use the service to set up access controls, monitor transfer activity, and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Automated file transfer workflows: Can be integrated with other AWS services like Lambda, Step Functions, and Event Bridge to automate file transfer workflows.
- Media asset management: It can be used for media asset management, where large files like videos, images, and audio files must be stored and accessed by multiple users.
- Simplified file transfer: It is a fully managed service that eliminates the need for organizations to set up and maintain their file transfer servers.
- Scalability: It is designed to scale seamlessly to meet the needs of organizations of all sizes. The service can handle large file transfers and integrate with other AWS services like Amazon S3 and AWS CloudFront for improved performance and scalability.
- Security: It provides several security features to help organizations secure their data. It uses industry-standard protocols like SFTP, FTPS, and FTP for file transfers and supports encryption in transit and at rest. Additionally, the service integrates with AWS IAM for user authentication and access control.
- Compliance: it is designed to help organizations meet regulatory requirements like HIPAA, PCI DSS, and GDPR.
- Cost-effective: The pricing model is pay-as-you-go, which means that organizations only pay for the resources they use.
Note:- There is no extra pricing based on the number of users.
SFTP enabled on your endpoint:
At a $0.30 hourly rate, your monthly charge for SFTP is:
$0.30 * 24 hours * 30 days = $216
SFTP data upload and download:
At $0.04/GB, your monthly charge for data uploads and downloads over SFTP is:
$0.04 * 1 GB * 30 days = $1.20
Adding the charges above, your total monthly bill for the AWS Transfer Family would be:
$216 + $1.20 = $217.20.
- AWS account: You’ll need an AWS account to access the AWS Transfer Family.
- AWS Transfer Family service: AWS Transfer Family is a fully managed service you can enable through the AWS Management Console or AWS APIs.
- Network configuration: You’ll need to ensure that your network configuration allows inbound traffic on the ports used by the protocols you want to use. You may also need to configure your network security groups and firewalls.
- AWS IAM policies: You’ll need to create AWS IAM policies that specify the permissions required to access and use the AWS Transfer Family.
- Endpoint configuration: You’ll need to configure your AWS Transfer Family endpoint to specify the protocols, users, and other settings required for your use case.
- Logging and Monitoring: For secure and reliable file transfers with AWS Transfer Family, enabling logging and monitoring via AWS CloudWatch is essential.
AWS Transfer Family is a versatile service from Amazon Web Services that streamlines file transfers, offering FTP, SFTP, and FTPS protocol support. Its secure and scalable capabilities simplify moving files to and from AWS storage services like Amazon S3 and Amazon EFS. This service facilitates efficient management and automation of file transfers.
Drop a query if you have any questions regarding AWS Transfer Family and we will get back to you quickly.
Making IT Networks Enterprise-ready – Cloud Management Services
- Accelerated cloud migration
- End-to-end view of the cloud environment
CloudThat is an official AWS (Amazon Web Services) Advanced Consulting Partner and Training partner, AWS Migration Partner, AWS Data and Analytics Partner, AWS DevOps Competency Partner, Amazon QuickSight Service Delivery Partner, AWS EKS Service Delivery Partner, and Microsoft Gold Partner, helping people develop knowledge of the cloud and help their businesses aim for higher goals using best-in-industry cloud computing practices and expertise. We are on a mission to build a robust cloud computing ecosystem by disseminating knowledge on technological intricacies within the cloud space. Our blogs, webinars, case studies, and white papers enable all the stakeholders in the cloud computing sphere.
1. What is AWS Transfer Family?
ANS: – This fully managed service enables you to transfer files to and from Amazon S3, Amazon EFS, and Amazon Glacier. It provides secure and scalable file transfer capabilities for various use cases.
2. Can I use AWS Transfer Family to transfer files between on-premises systems and Amazon S3?
ANS: – Yes, you can use AWS Transfer Family to transfer files between on-premises systems and Amazon S3.
WRITTEN BY Bavan M Y