Voiced by Amazon Polly
Amazon Web Services offer 250+ services covering all types of businesses, customers, and industries. In this article, we will discuss AWS Cloud WAN, one of the most important networking and content delivery services. Let’s discuss this service further in the following section.
As we can see in the following architecture diagram, existing transit gateways and AWS cloud WAN core network can coexist without indulging any complexity. Taking the burden of managing complex networks off the shoulders of customers, AWS cloud WAN automates and manages core network components.
Figure 1: Architecture diagram of AWS Cloud WAN
Important key components
Following is the list of important key components of AWS Cloud WAN:
- AWS Network Manager – A unique consolidated view to manage network topologies, metrics, and events. Centrally manage a global network using the AWS Management Console user interface and associated APIs.
- Global Network – A single private network that acts as a root-level container for network objects. A global network can include both transit gateways and core networks.
- Core Network – The part of your global network managed by AWS. Virtual private networks (VPNs) and Amazon VPCs are examples of attachments and connection points in regional networks.
- Core Network Policy – A singular, versioned policy document outlining every element of your core network.
- Attachments – You can add any connections or resources to expand your core network. A VPC attachment, a VPN attachment, and a Connect attachment are supported.
- Core Network Edge (CNE) – In accordance with the policy, a regional connection point is established for your attachments. Technology such as Transit Gateway is used behind the scenes in Cloud WAN. Dynamic routing is an example of one difference (it is managed by AWS).
- Network Segments – Routing domains that, by default, only allow communication within a segment consistently throughout the global network. These are strongly enforced layer three routing domains (unless you create sharing relationships in your network policy).
Pioneers in Cloud Consulting & Migration Services
- Reduced infrastructural costs
- Accelerated application deployment
- Build global networks in minutes
- Use the AWS global network for hybrid connectivity
- Simplify WAN deployments and visibility
- Centralized traffic segmentation policy
AWS Transit Gateway and AWS Cloud WAN service seem similar to customers when they learn about their features and working mechanism, but they differ.
Let’s investigate the pricing model of AWS Cloud WAN. There is an attachment per hour cost also data processing cost. It is important to notice that when we deploy Cloud WAN, we create a core network edge in the required AWS regions for the network. So basically, the pricing per region cost for the core network edge is also included.
Example for Asia Pacific (Mumbai)
In this article, we have discussed a new service from Amazon Web Services called AWS Cloud WAN, which helps to manage WANs on-premises and networking components in the cloud. There is still more to learn about AWS Cloud WAN, so I encourage you to see the official documentation from AWS.
Get your new hires billable within 1-60 days. Experience our Capability Development Framework today.
- Cloud Training
- Customized Training
- Experiential Learning
CloudThat is also the official AWS (Amazon Web Services) Advanced Consulting Partner and Training partner and Microsoft gold partner, helping people develop knowledge of the cloud and help their businesses aim for higher goals using best in industry cloud computing practices and expertise. We are on a mission to build a robust cloud computing ecosystem by disseminating knowledge on technological intricacies within the cloud space. Our blogs, webinars, case studies, and white papers enable all the stakeholders in the cloud computing sphere.
Drop a query if you have any questions regarding AWS Cloud WAN and I will get back to you quickly.
1. Can AWS Transit Gateway natively connect to AWS Cloud WAN?
ANS: – Transit Gateway can natively connect to the core network edge through a peering connection. When connecting a native transit gateway to AWS Cloud WAN, ensuring that the transit gateway and core network are located in the same AWS region is crucial. Both services can be in the same or different AWS accounts.
2. How is built-in automation achieved in AWS Cloud WAN?
ANS: – While working with AWS Cloud WAN, tagging achieves built-in automation. AWS Cloud WAN automatically attaches new VPCs to add network connections per your network’s requirement. Tagging is useful for deciding whether resources should be attached within a specific network policy automatically or manually.
WRITTEN BY Aishwarya Joshi
Aishwarya works as a Research Associate (AWS Media services) with CloudThat. She is an enthusiastic individual and a good team player. A positive attitude is her way of dealing with everything. She enjoys learning new technologies and exploring various ways of problem-solving. As of late, she has become proficient in cloud services and enjoys writing technical blogs.