Voiced by Amazon Polly
Google Cloud Platform’s Data Transfer Service is a managed service that allows you to automate and schedule data transfers between different cloud storage systems, including Amazon S3 and Google Cloud Storage.
When moving data from Amazon S3 to Cloud Storage, the Data Transfer Service makes the process easy and efficient. It allows you to automate transfers, schedule them to run at specific times, and monitor progress.
Benefits of using Data Transfer Service
- Reduced complexity: The Data Transfer Service simplifies transferring data between cloud storage systems, allowing you to move data with minimal configuration and hassle easily.
- Cost-effective: The Data Transfer Service provides cost-effective data transfer options, including free transfer options for transferring data into Google Cloud Storage. You can transfer data via the internet or use dedicated connections depending on your requirements.
- Secure: The Data Transfer Service ensures the secure transfer of data between cloud storage systems. It supports SSL encryption for data in transit and provides options for encrypting data at rest.
- Scalable: The Data Transfer Service can handle large-scale data transfers, making it ideal for transferring large amounts of data between cloud storage systems. It supports parallel transfers, allowing you to transfer multiple files simultaneously.
- Automated and Scheduled Transfers: The Data Transfer Service allows you to schedule transfers to run at specific times and automate the transfer process, reducing the time and effort required to move data.
Pioneers in Cloud Consulting & Migration Services
- Reduced infrastructural costs
- Accelerated application deployment
Steps to move data from Amazon S3 to Cloud Storage
- Create a Cloud Storage Bucket
The first step is to create a Cloud Storage bucket to store the data you want to transfer from Amazon S3. You can create a bucket using the cloud storage–>buckets option.
You can configure the options as per your needs.
2. Create a Transfer Job
Next, you must create a transfer job in the Data Transfer Service. Go to the Data Transfer Service page in the GCP Console and click “Create a transfer job”.
Configure source and destination as below,
3. Choose the Data Source
Select “Amazon S3” as the data source and provide your AWS access key and secret access key to authenticate your AWS account, which has access to the required Amazon S3 bucket. Alternatively, you can choose the IAM role for web identity, which has read access for the required Amazon S3 bucket.
4. Select the Data to Transfer
Choose the Amazon S3 bucket and the objects you want to transfer to Cloud Storage. You can select specific files or use filters to transfer only certain files.
5. Choose the Destination
Select “Google Cloud Storage” as the destination and choose the Cloud Storage bucket you created in Step 1.
6. Configure Transfer Options
Configure any additional transfer options that you need, such as scheduling the transfer job or setting up transfer notifications.
Review the transfer job settings to ensure that everything is correct.
7. Start the Transfer Job
Click “Create” to start the transfer job. Based on your options, the transfer job will transfer data from Amazon S3 to Cloud Storage.
8. Monitor Transfer Progress
You can monitor the transfer job progress on the Data Transfer Service page in the GCP Console. You can view details about the transfer, including the transfer rate and estimated completion time.
9. Verify Data Transfer
After completing the transfer job, verify that the data has been transferred to your Cloud Storage bucket by checking the bucket’s contents.
Using Google Cloud Platform’s Data Transfer Service to move data from Amazon S3 to Google Cloud Storage is a simple and cost-effective solution. The service provides a secure, scalable, and automated way to transfer data between cloud storage systems, making it an ideal choice for businesses looking to streamline their data transfer process. By leveraging the benefits of the Data Transfer Service, organizations can save time and resources while ensuring the secure transfer of their data.
Making IT Networks Enterprise-ready – Cloud Management Services
- Accelerated cloud migration
- End-to-end view of the cloud environment
CloudThat is also the official AWS (Amazon Web Services) Advanced Consulting Partner and Training partner and Microsoft gold partner, helping people develop knowledge of the cloud and help their businesses aim for higher goals using best in industry cloud computing practices and expertise. We are on a mission to build a robust cloud computing ecosystem by disseminating knowledge on technological intricacies within the cloud space. Our blogs, webinars, case studies, and white papers enable all the stakeholders in the cloud computing sphere.
Drop a query if you have any questions regarding Google Cloud Storage and I will get back to you quickly.
1. What types of data can be transferred using Data Transfer Service?
ANS: – The Data Transfer Service supports transferring all data types, including object storage, databases, and file systems.
2. How much does it cost to use Data Transfer Service?
ANS: – The cost of using a Data Transfer Service depends on the amount of data transferred and the transfer method used. Google offers free transfer options for data transferred into Google Cloud Storage, and pricing for other options can be found in their Documentation.
WRITTEN BY Vignesh K S
Vignesh K S works as a Research Associate at CloudThat. He is interested in learning the latest technologies and methodologies related to Cloud Services and Development in Cloud using serverless services.