In this blog, we will discuss how AWS Wickr works, its features, and pricing.
AWS Wickr is an enterprise communications service with end-to-end encryption that offers advanced security features and enables one-to-one chats, group messaging, calls, file sharing, screen sharing, and more.
AWS Wickr helps organizations and individuals secure their collaboration with a secure and compliant solution. AWS Wickr offers advanced security features not available with traditional communication services.
User data is encrypted on the sender’s device and can only be accessed by the intended recipient, reducing the risk of person-in-the-middle attacks. Users have complete control over their data, as no one has the keys to decrypt their conversations or documents.
Working of AWS Wickr
AWS Wickr is an end-to-end encryption service that enables organizations to collaborate more securely using one-on-one and group messaging, audio and video calling, file sharing, screen sharing, and more. With AWS Wickr, you pay for what you use. Billing is based on the number of users and the plan you choose.
Wickr uses an end-to-end encryption mechanism to ensure that messages, files, and audio or video calls are accessible only to the intended recipient. This means the system provides reliability and confidentiality. No unauthorized party can insert messages into the system, and no unintended party can access or understand the communication without receiving it from one of the recipients.
Every message is assigned a unique Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption key and a unique Elliptic Curve Diffie-Hellman (ECDH) public key to negotiate a key exchange with other recipients. Message content (any file format) is encrypted on the sending device using a message-specific AES key. A message-specific AES key is exchanged with the recipient via the Elliptic Curve Diffie-Hellman Key Exchange (EDCH521) mechanism. This ensures that only the intended recipient has a special AES key that can decrypt the message.
- Cloud Migration
- AIML & IoT
Features of AWS Wickr
- Send direct or group messages. Create rooms with members using a directory (users in your existing network) or contact list (users outside your existing network).
- To delete sent messages and files after a set period (from 1 minute to 365 days), set an expiration time. After the recipient has read messages, the Burn-on-Read (BOR) timer allows you to automatically delete them. You can set default expiration timers and BORs for each room or message.
- Share up to 5 GB end-to-end encrypted files in an AWS Wickr room or direct message.
- Record voice messages for up to 1 minute and share them directly with users or AWS Wickr rooms.
- Maintain end-to-end encrypted voice or video calls for up to 100 participants in AWS Wickr rooms or 1:1 in direct messages.
- Allows up to 500 read-only participants. Only the host can share video, audio, and screen.
- Supports up to 500 participants, while sharing screen or information during 1:1 calls and conference calls.
- Retain information in more secure, customer-managed data storage facilities to meet legal retention, audit, and compliance requirements.
- Protect sensitive and regulated data. To protect users’ data, AWS Wickr uses AES-256, ECDH521, and TLS 1.2+.
- Controls make it easy to invite, add, or remove AWS Wickr users. The user status change feature notifies room moderators of user account changes. As users leave an organization or are added or removed from an AWS Wickr network, you can manage your account accordingly.
- Receive mobile and desktop notifications, set privacy and security settings, manage availability, and set preferences at the individual and group room level.
- Organize users into security groups and restrict access to content at that level. Policies can be applied to each group individually tailored to the desired outcome.
- Secure your communications with authenticated 256-bit end-to-end encryption. Every call, message, and file is encrypted with a new random key and is unreadable in transit. No one other than the intended recipient (including AWS Wickr) can decrypt them.
- To verify the digital identity of the other end of the conversation, AWS Wickr includes automatic verification of digital signatures, encryption of data at rest, and strong authentication and access controls. Validate digital signatures and protect against attacks.
AWS Wickr offers three plans with flexible pricing – Free Trial, Standard, and Premium.
- The Free Trial plan is for individuals or teams of up to 30 users looking for a more secure to work for the first three months.
- The Standard plan is for teams that want administrative control and flexibility with unlimited users in both small and large organizations.
- The Premium plan is for businesses that want the highest level of feature restrictions, granular administrative control, and data retention right from the start.
Select a plan that fits your goals and pay monthly or annually per user. Features and pricing of these plans can be seen in the attached snapshots below for the North Virginia region.
AWS Wickr provides security, compliance, data retention, and administrative control to the users as a communication tool. Unlike many enterprises communication tools, AWS Wickr uses end-to-end encryption mechanisms. By this provision, AWS Wickr is used by government agencies, the military, and corporations where user privacy is a top priority.
Get your new hires billable within 1-60 days. Experience our Capability Development Framework today.
- Cloud Training
- Customized Training
- Experiential Learning
CloudThat is also the official AWS (Amazon Web Services) Advanced Consulting Partner and Training partner and Microsoft gold partner, helping people develop knowledge of the cloud and help their businesses aim for higher goals using best in industry cloud computing practices and expertise. We are on a mission to build a robust cloud computing ecosystem by disseminating knowledge on technological intricacies within the cloud space. Our blogs, webinars, case studies, and white papers enable all the stakeholders in the cloud computing sphere.
Drop a query if you have any questions regarding AWS Wickr and I will get back to you quickly.
1. What operating systems does AWS Wickr support?
ANS: – AWS Wickr supports the following operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows 10
- Apple macOS – version 10.13 and later
- Apple iOS – version 13.0 and later
- Android – version 8.0 and later
- Linux, Ubuntu, and snap package
2. Can people message outside of their organization?
ANS: – AWS Wickr network can communicate with anyone using AWS Wickr.
3. In which regions are AWS Wickr available?
ANS: – AWS Wickr is currently available only in the US East (N. Virginia) region, where messages are processed and stored.
WRITTEN BY Raghavendra Santosh Kulkarni
Raghavendra is a skilled Full Stack Developer with expertise in a wide range of technologies. He has a strong working knowledge of AWS and is always looking to learn about new and emerging technologies. In addition to his technical skills, Raghavendra is a highly motivated and dedicated professional, committed to delivering high quality work.